Friday, January 28, 2011

First Day of Advanced Digital Illustration

Here's a screenshot of my homework assignment that I started today. Our assignment for the next two weeks is to paint 10 apples in Corel Painter 11. 8 apples must be in single media, and 2 apples in mixed media. This is my first time using Corel Painter, and I think I did a decent job painting the apples. The apple to the left was painted in acrylic, and the one to the right is painted with airbrushes. The program is pretty complex and there's a lot of different apps and's kind of overwhelming. I think this is a great exercise for starters. 2 apples down.....8 to go. Maybe I can shoot for 15 apples?! ......We'll see.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Recent Work....

Here are two of my favorite paintings that I've done over the past 3 months. These illustrations are based on dreams I've had. I have 4 more that I have yet to post, but I figure I shouldn't saturate my blog with recent works all at once. The one to the left is called The Mushroom Princess (painted in acrylic on illustration board) and the one on the left is Creature Of The Deep (acrylic on arches.) I plan to turn these dreams into short stories (I mean, they are already short stories, no?) and compile them into a dream book! I'll post more from my dream series later on.


Illustration Friday

Here's a sketch I did today for Illustration Friday. I started a little late, but I plan on finishing this up in photoshop. I think it's a good start! This week's topic is "chicken".


Friday, January 7, 2011


Wow. I haven't updated in 5 months. I am the worst blogger ever. Of course I've kept busy during the past 5 months, but I haven't been updating like a good blogger should. This image to the left is one of my graphic design assignments. I struggled a lot in that class mainly because digital media isn't really my strong point...and I don't know a whole lot about graphic design.
Anywho. The main point of this assignment was to create a poster to spread awareness on your chosen subject and non-profit organization. My subject was child abduction and I chose to work with Voice For The Children Inc.
My process was very simple. I did about 20 sketches before I came up with the final comp. I did a basic sketch, scanned in the sketch and did all the painting in photoshop.I had a lot of fun with this project and I can honestly say I'm happy with the way it turned out.